Monday 19 August 2013

alcoholism

Written on July 1st 2013, 4.40am
The Collonades, Kota Kinabalu

Having my Vico after coming back from ETD.
Decided to join in the night shift at 12.30am and went back at 4 since the busy night seemed to have settled down. Seeing that case and a few others throughout my A&E elective posting, I just can't help feeling annoyed with alcoholism. I know that there are some benefits to it but seeing those cases is enough to make me see the weight of the harm it causes to the society. Drunkards getting withdrawal symptoms, MVA cases due to being under alcohol influence. And tonight's case has a Muslim name to him. A binge drinker, according to the notes.

I can only feel disgusted when it comes to alcohol. The smell itself is pretty yucky, I can't imagine how people can let it slide through their tongue and throat. Looking at them all drowsy and mumbling to themselves, trying to get off the bed 2 to go to some fantasy land when all the HOs and MOs are busy treating other patients only to fumble and slip. I helped him up, with utter annoyance and disgust. I don't hate him. I hate the deed itself.

Had a short, inconclusive discussion with my peers regarding the issue of whether a Muslim nation with kafeer zimmi in it should ban alcohol completely or not. I still believe in what I said. Islam is sent to all mankind, so Islam is offering not only protection to the 'aql (mind, intellect) of Muslims, but it is for all, regardless of their religion, because truly it is affecting everyone inclusively and not selectively, to the drinker directly and to those around them and the society as a whole.

p/s: a "she-male" was wheeled-in looking drowsy. All the
nurses were like "Go for the orange branula!" He was being
laughed at, and the nurses said we can experiment on him with
the branula as many times as we want. To that, I have no
comment. Huhu.. He did look a lot like a girl, though. The make
up, long hair, no hair on his legs, the attire. But the chest is
totally flat, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment