Thursday 1 September 2011

touching hearts

Bismillah

a conversation with a good friend of mine brought me back to this topic.
we were talking about video making and made me watch a video me and my friends once made back in college and it brought back memories of how we were. how good the team was with making videos. the teamwork. I miss them all. and more importantly, it reminded me of how I was.

making videos is always about tackling emotions.
to make a good video, you have to know which spot on the audience's heart you want to hit, spot-on.
which emotion you want tackle, you want them to feel. the more specific the better.
and before you can make them feel that emotion, you have to "embrace" that kind of emotion first.
only then, the next step comes: the creativity in conveying that message, no matter how factual they are.
like Petronas' raya adverts, which often a success.
the emotion that you've "embraced" will guide you on how to convey that message.

this is what I've been lacking for the past few years.
what I've lost, and what I've been searching for.

kind of reminded me about the differences between social science and pure sciences.
often people compare between novels and textbooks.
often pengisi ISK.
but here it is. people remember better with emotions attached to it.
learning science or maths can be really boring but incorporate emotions in it,
make them feel happy learning it, and they'll love the subject.
let kids watch documentaries, make them gasp with awe before the creations of the Almighty,
and they'll love discovering new things, and not fixed on lovey dovey fantasy stuffs.

I think I've failed to "embrace" the emotion.
Seemed to have died of emotions these few years, and I don't know why.
Now I'm trying to pick myself up, and write more on reflections on my life accounts,
instead of factual stuffs that I don't really actually felt much about it.
it's like me trying to be someone else, trying to write like someone else.
and it felt so wrong in writing them.
It's not just about the feeling and emotions, but it's about is that really what I believe in?


so some of my future posts you may not find beneficial, but please bear with me.
I don't usually write drafts, often I'll publish it right away, or I'd come back and edit it later, but it'll always be published first.

a quote by a lecturer during our induction week, which I find really interesting:
"Ironically, we can only start to change ourselves when we begin to accept of how we are"
true enough, and ironic as it is, the more we deny of how we are, the harder for us to see what is it in us that needed changing.
and I believed and agree with what a good friend of mine once said, that blogging is a really good way to convey the message of Islam through one's life encounter, for that is the practicality of it, not just merely theories but theories live in action.
and of course, emotions to share, for others to feel as well.
they won't feel 100% like you did, but we're humans and we're able to relate with our own life encounter and we'll feel that similar feelings and we are able to appreciate such events, and our own life events, no matter how small a matter that is.

appreciate and embrace that emotion. share. and care.

with love,
~hS

4 comments:

  1. Salam alaik,

    "I think I've failed to "embrace" the emotion.
    Seemed to have died of emotions these few years, and I don't know why.
    Now I'm trying to pick myself up, and write more on reflections on my life accounts,
    instead of factual stuffs that I don't really actually felt much about it.
    it's like me trying to be someone else, trying to write like someone else.
    and it felt so wrong in writing them." - Tell me about it. I feel like I've lost 'emotion' too. But I can't let it stream on. I have to stop and change the stream's course as He will not change the fate of people who does not try to change their own fate~!!

    (13:11) - “Truly, God does not change the condition of a people until they change what is in themselves.”

    WAllahua'lam~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if I really get what you mean by stream but I think I got what you are saying. And yeah, we should really always try to look deep inside and muhasabah and try to make a change in ourselves, to try and become better people.

    I like a quote I've heard somewhere.
    "The only thing that is constant is change itself".
    Nothing will ever remain the same, so if we are taking lead of the change, we'll mislead ourselves. Everything around us will influence our change so by saying taking a lead, I meant that we are taking an active role in filtering tge good and tha bad influences the best we can, with our miniscule human might.

    Wallahua'lam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Banyaknya typo =__="

    Meant to say "if we are NOT taking a lead". Huhu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salam,

    No worries, I make mistakes too at times.

    Can't let it stream on in this context means to not allow it to go on.

    Change the stream's course here means to change its direction (to a better path) .

    And I agree with what you say. We have to take an active role and lead to avoid from being misled.

    WAllahua'lam.

    ReplyDelete